In response, the organisers of the biggest mass-participation sports events across the country have come together to create a new campaign to raise vital funds to help the UK’s charities.
The 2.6 Challenge, launches on Sunday 26 April – what would’ve been the 40th edition of the London Marathon, which raised £66.4 million in 2019.
All you need to do is dream up an activity based around the numbers 2.6 or 26 that suits you and start it on Sunday April 26 by following the steps below.
For us, 2.6 is the distance in miles one of our nurses can cover in less than a single shift of caring for terminally ill patients at the Hospice or in the comfort of their own homes.
A donation of £26 could provide an hour of compassionate nursing care to help make a patients last days of life as supported, comfortable and dignified as they can be - hopefully leaving behind positive memories for their loved ones.
- Dream up your 2.6 Challenge
- Donate £26 or whatever you can or set up a fundraising page online - find St Wilfrid's Hospice on JustGiving by clicking:
Or choose Virgin Money Giving by clicking:
- Ask all your friends and family to sponsor you or simply donate £26 or whatever you can
- Complete your 2.6 challenge in your own time. Most people are starting their challenges on 26th April
Don't forget to post any photos of your challenge on Facebook for us to see @stwilfridschichester using #TwoPointSixChallenge
- 26 minutes of activity (in your house, garden, the local park)
- Climbing the stairs 26 times in one go
- 2.6 kilometres of hopping, skipping, hoola-hooping or crawling!
- 2.6 mile walk or run
- 26 metres your way challenge – do anything across the distance of 26 metres (average 35 normal pace steps)
- Send 26 messages to 26 friends
- One for the kids – learn 26 new words - Learn a new word beginning with each letter of the alphabet
- Create a 26 question quiz and get your family and friends to play - everyone donates £2.60 to play your quiz
Find out more about the national campaign, celebrity promoters and more at www.twopointsixchallenge.co.uk/getinvolved