A new way of walking for the times we live in
Here at St Wilfrid’s Hospice we are committed to the safety of supporters like you, who do amazing things to fundraise for vital end of life care in our community.
With this in mind, we have made the decision to adapt the usual walk into:
The Moonlight Walk Week 2020
How you can take part
What: Walk 5 or 10 miles during the Moonlight Walk Week in a way that suits you. You could even break it down into manageable distances, or why not get creative and break it down into steps:
5 miles = 10,000 steps and 10 miles = 20,000 steps
When: From Saturday 5th September - Saturday 12th September 2020. You’ll have one whole week to complete the challenge in your own time and at a time of the day or evening that suits you.
Where: As a virtual event this means you can take part wherever you are! The walk can take place in your own home and garden, or be completed as part of your daily exercise, depending on the latest government advice.
How: Sign up by clicking the ‘Register Now’ button below and encourage your friends and family to do the same. Once registered, we’ll send you a supporter pack full of advice and support on how to complete the challenge and fundraise virtually. Before the event week, you’ll also receive an exclusive 2020 Moonlight Walk t-shirt to wear on your walk.
*If you already registered for this event before it became virtual then you will be contacted by us directly*
Why: St Wilfrid’s Hospice needs your help to continue caring for local people in need of specialist end of life care. You can:
- Walk to remember a loved one
- Walk for the challenge
- Walk in solidarity with friends and friendly by connecting virtually
- Walk to show your support for St Wilfrid’s
Be a fundraising star for St Wilfrid’s!
Now more than ever, the money you raise will support the future of hospice care in our community.
“Within 3 days of being referred to St Wilfrid's, we witnessed a huge change in Mum. With her pain and mobility being properly managed she had a quality of life we hadn’t experienced in months.” - Sammie, walking in our Moonlight Walk Week 2020 in memory of her mum
Every pound raised will help:
- By reaching your £60 fundraising target you will receive a special edition 2020 Moonlight Walk medal after the event. Just £60 could support a home visit to a patient and over 2 hours of care by a St Wilfrid’s Nurse Specialist.
- By being a superstar walker and raising £220 or more you will receive an exclusive 2020 Superstar Walker hoodie. £220 could fund over 8 hours of patient care by a St Wilfrid’s Nurse on our ward at the Hospice.
Be part of something special. Register now to help support the future of hospice care in your community. Make a difference today.
If you are unable to take part this year, but are keen to still support the Moonlight Walk Week 2020, then you can show your support by making a donation on EverydayHero to this year's fundraising total.
This year we are also welcoming Henry Adams as proud sponsors,
“We are delighted to be supporting the Moonlight Walk Week 2020 because St Wilfrid’s means so much to so many local families. The dedicated staff provide vital care to many in our local community when it’s needed most, so join us during the Moonlight Walk Week and let’s make it a fundraising event to remember.”
Use our downloads to help your fundraising during social distancing. Be sure to check out all the advice and tips to help you raise a minimum of £60.
Where does the walk happen this year?
The walk is now a virtual event – meaning it can take place wherever you like. Please follow current government advice on social distancing and other measures during the week of 5th-12th September when choosing where to do your walk.
When does the walk happen?
You can complete the 5 or 10 mile walk anytime during the week 5th-12th September.
Do I need to prove I took part?
We would love to see pictures of you doing your walks on social media or sent directly to us. You do not need to prove you undertook the 5 or 10 mile walk but anyone who has sponsored you will be keen to know you did complete it. Please update your supporters however you find best to let them know when you completed your walk. One of the best ways to do this is to update your online fundraising page.
How far is 5 and 10 miles if I’m doing this on my own?
You can measure your distance in a variety of ways, we suggest using a step counter if you have one, or an app on your phone. 5 miles = 10,000 steps and 10 miles = 20,000 steps. You can also guide yourself on time, on average it will take a person to walk 3 miles per hour. With that in mind 5 miles = up to 2 hours and 10 miles = 4-5 hours depending on your speed.
Do I have to do the walk all at once?
The 2020 Moonlight Walk is an event that can take place when it is suitable for you. You can also choose to do the walk in sections. For example – 5 miles = 1 mile a day for 5 days, or 10 miles = 2miles a day for 5 days.
How old do I need to be to take part?
All ages are welcome in the walk. Everyone under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult who will take full responsibility for them throughout the walk. This year there is a special Youth ticket available for those aged 10-17.
When can I get my Moonlight Walk tshirt?
We will send your t-shirt along with a supporter pack in the post. Please register online before 31st August 2020 to ensure you get your t-shirt before the 5th September. If you register after that date we will post your t-shirt to you as soon as possible but we cannot guarantee it will arrive in time.
How do I make a donation to the Moonlight Walk fundraising target?
You can choose to make a donation of any amount online here at https://stwh.co.uk/donate-moonlightwalk
What is a super-star fundraiser?
We are giving out exclusive hoodies to those people who become super-star fundraisers for their walk! Raise £220 for the 2020 Moonlight Walk Week. If you want to wear your hoodie on the walk you need to get the money to us by 14th August 2020. You are still entitled to a free hoodie if you raise £220 after the walk.
How do I give St Wilfrid’s Hospice my sponsorship money?
If you have set up an online sponsorship page with EverydayHero the money that your sponsors donate gets automatically sent to St Wilfrid’s Hospice so you don’t have to do anything.
If you are collecting cheques you will have to post those in to us at the hospice along with your sponsorship form. If you have collected cash you can do a bank transfer to the hospice – details will be in your support pack.
Key dates are:
- Get all your money to us by 1st December 2020 if you want to be considered for the top fundraiser prizes (top 3 individuals and top 3 teams will win prizes!)
- If you are aiming to get a free hoodie by being a Super-Star Fundraiser you need to get at least £220 to us by 31st August to have your hoodie for the walk
Where can I get another sponsorship form?
You can download it from the bottom of the webpage at www.stwh.co.uk/moonlightwalk and you will find one enclosed with this letter.
How do I set up an online sponsorship page?
It’s really simple, just follow the step by step guide. You will get sent a link when you register for the walk, or you can set one up here. We encourage you to use EverydayHero because they charge us less fees than other sites. www.everydayhero.co.uk/event/moonlightwalk2020
How do I get a medal?
This year you can get a medal to show off your hard work by raising the minimum sponsorship of £60 which could pay fund a home visit by a St Wilfrid’s Specialist nurse. Your medal will be posted to you after the event.
How much are tickets?
This year the price of entry is £16 for an adult, £13 for a child aged 10-17 and free entry for anyone under the age of 10 (no t-shirt included).
The below terms and conditions have been written to ensure that St Wilfrid’s Hospice can support its event participants in the best possible way, whilst raising as much as possible to fund its work.
If you have any questions about them, please don’t hesitate to call 01243 755184 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You agree to the following
- To join in the event we require you to agree to all terms and conditions, register online and pay your registration fee. All walkers must register for the event.
- You understand this event is now a virtual event – which means undertaking the activities in a responsible way and in line with government advice at the time about social distancing and gathering with others.
- As this is a virtual event across a full week the walk can be undertaken at any time during the week and should be done so responsibly. It is your choice what time of day or evening that you walk – you do not have to complete a walk at night for this year.
- Your walk can be any route you like. The official Moonlight Walk route happens in part on private land so we encourage you not to undertake that route but to get creative with where you walk.
- You understand this is a fundraising event and pledge to raise as much sponsorship as possible and that the entry fee is non-refundable as it covers the cost of administering the event and is not a donation.
- We ask that you pledge to raise a minimum of £60 in sponsorship money or make an equivalent donation for St Wilfrid’s Hospice. This does not include your registration fee or any gift aid claimed on sponsorship. All funds raised must be made payable to St Wilfrid’s Hospice.
- Anyone who raises £60 or more will receive an event medal. The funds must have been received by the charity first.
- Anyone who raised more £220 or more is entitled to receive a free Super Star Walker hoodie. The money must have been received by the charity before you can receive your hoodie. Hoodies will be given out to you only after the event week ends on 12th September 2020.
- Photographs that you take and share on social media or with St Wilfrid’s Hospice can be used in promotional materials.
- You understand that walking along public roadways during the day or night is potentially hazardous. You are aware that St Wilfrid’s Hospice and its employees and volunteers cannot be held responsible for any personal injury, accident, loss, damage or public liability. You confirm that you are in reasonable health and fitness to undertake the 5 or 10 mile walk.
- It is recommended that you register online by 31st August to receive a supporter pack including your t-shirt before the event. You can still register for the event and take part up to the 12th September but you may not receive your supporter pack on time if you do a late registration. We will however still send it out to you as soon as possible.
- To be eligible for Top Fundraising Prizes please ensure your sponsorship is received by the Hospice by 1st December 2020.
- We will store your personal details, as provided on your registration, securely on our database. Please be aware that we will need to contact you with regards to this event however, outside of this correspondence, we would like to keep you informed about our work with terminally-ill people. You can choose to hear from us in a variety of ways or opt-out of further correspondence, by emailing us your preferences at: email@example.com
Guides to help fundraise during social distancing
We've got handy guides to help you fundraise with your family and friends, and colleagues, from your home. Host an online Quiz or host a Cuppa & Cake event - all with social distancing in mind. Get Connected with loved ones today and support vital hospice care.