St Wilfrid’s Hospice will be celebrating our Moonlight Walk 2020 on Saturday 5th September. Starting at the Westgate Leisure Centre, as many as 900 people take part in a 5k or 10k walk in memory of loved ones.
“It literally is a night to remember so don’t forget to put it in your diaries! Our volunteers are an integral part of what makes the night so special - it really wouldn't be possible without all their hard work,” said Community Fundraising Manager, Alex Burch. “As well as being very moving, the Moonlight Walk is also a lot of fun.”
There are several ways that you can help us on the night:
Be a Marshal
- You will be stationed along the route helping the walkers by making sure they stay safe and don’t get lost.
- A lot of these stations will be at trickier parts of the route, such as a road crossing.
- All marshals will be stationed with at least one other marshal and procedures will be put in place to ensure everyone can stay in contact with one another if necessary.
Be a Steward
- You will be positioned at one of our refreshment stops along the route.
- Stewards will work in small teams to make sure our walkers are fully refreshed for the rest of their journey.
In addition to these very important roles whilst our walkers are walking, all volunteers will also be asked to help with different activities before and after the walk.
At the Westgate Centre before the walk starts:
- Directing participants and volunteers to the appropriate car parks.
- Welcoming participants/volunteers to the Centre and directing them.
- Signing people in at the registration desks
- Giving out refreshment packs to walkers
At the Westgate when the walkers are returning:
- Welcoming walkers back
- Signing people back in and handing out medals
- Helping to serve breakfast
- Helping to tidy up
Please indicate your preference of role (marshal or steward) on the volunteer form. (Unfortunately we cannot guarantee everyone their first choice.)
All volunteers must be aged 12 or over. Any volunteers aged 12-17 must be paired with an adult known to them, such as a parent/guardian or youth group leader, who agrees to be responsible for them for the evening.
Please indicate on the registration form whether or not you are 18 or over. If you are aged 12-17, your form must be signed by the adult who has agreed to be with you.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01243 755827 if you would like more information.
People can sign up to walk the walk at www.stwh.co.uk/moonlight.
You must agree to the terms and conditions of volunteering for this event. By registering you are agreeing to the following:
- I understand that I may be asked to do multiple tasks during this event, and that I need to follow the instruction of the event organisers
- I understand this event happens during the hours of 7:30pm-3am (possibly later) on 5-6th September 2020
- I understand this event happens outside, at night and I will dress appropriately and be prepared for the weather on event day
- I am in good health to volunteer at this event
- I understand it is up to me to tell the event organisers if I need to change the volunteering role I have been assigned in good time before the event
- I agree to let the event organisers know as soon as possible if I can no longer volunteer for this event
- I understand I have a role to play when it comes to health and safety of the walkers and other volunteers at this event and will abide by the safety briefing given to me
- If I am aged 12-17 I understand I must be accompanied by a responsible adult on the night
- I agree to attend the volunteers briefing on the night of the event