Furniture & Clearance Outlet Manager
|Salary:||£11.94 per hour (pending review)|
|Hours:||37.5 hours per week rota basis, including weekends and bank holidays|
|End date:||Closing date: 3 April 2020|
An opportunity exists to join our retail team as Manager of our Furniture and Clearance Charity Outlet in Chalcroft Lane, Bognor Regis. This is a well-established shop with lots of potential to grow.
The successful applicant will be an ambassador of St Wilfrid’s Hospice in the local community and support the development of our retail operation. You will offer excellent customer service to deliver the shop’s operational and financial goals, thus generating vital income to fund our Hospice.
This is a great opportunity to lead and develop the committed team of retail staff & volunteers. Our operation is fast moving and includes meeting customers, handling, sorting pricing and merchandising donations, coordinating deliveries/collections of furniture plus distribution and collection of goods to our shops. Alongside this, we are developing our offer to include increased volumes of clearance goods for our customers.
Reporting to the Retail Operations and Logistics Manager you will have prior experience of shop management and a desire to work with home furnishings. You will be responsible for the management of our Chalcroft Lane site
This is a hands-on role and involves manual handling. You will be adaptable, have strong communication skills and be able to lead and take responsibility, as well as working as part of the wider Retail and Hospice team. Good IT skills are an advantage.
In addition to a competitive salary we offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes a generous holiday entitlement starting at 27 days per year plus bank holiday entitlement (pro rata), a contributory pension scheme, or continuation to the NHS Superannuation Scheme, life assurance, and a contributory cash reimbursement plan. We offer a friendly, challenging, yet supportive working atmosphere with a committed team of colleagues.
Informal enquiries are welcomed; please contact Zara Richards, Retail Operations and Logistics Manager, on 01243 214054 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Responsible for the management of the site including all retail operations, donation sorting and distribution
- Line Manager responsibility for staff and volunteers in the shop and donation/distribution centre
- Financial – Maintain all cash, payment and banking systems in accordance with agreed procedures
- Stock – maximise the profitability from donations and organise distribution of donations as required
- People – 3 Direct reports, 15 Employees and 25 Volunteers
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promotes the St Wilfrid’s culture of excellence in patient and people care ensuring that the outlet and donation centre (DC) enhances the profile of the Hospice in the community
- Ensure that customer service is delivered to a high standard in a sensitive and professional manner and that the shop and DC provide a welcoming environment for the customer/donor
- Responsible for the day to day running of the outlet and DC ensuring they are adequately manned at all times
- Contributes to reporting of progress towards meeting relevant strategic and operational goals
- Manages the retail supervisor and donations centre supervisor to ensure in organising the work of staff and volunteers, van movements (vehicle scheduling), stock display and rotation and sorting, distribution and disposal of donated goods
- Works closely with the Managers of the other furniture outlets
- Contributes towards ensuring that the Hospice’s exposure to risk is minimised through safe practice and awareness of health and safety and infection control
- Ensure the shop premises comply with relevant legislation
- Supports the Trading Manager in ensuring the premises are maintained and secured to ensure the security of the premises, staff, volunteers and stock. Participates in the emergency key holder rota
- Supports the Trading Manager in ensuring that retail budget targets are achieved
- Challenges the supervisors, staff and volunteers to make continuous improvement
- Maximises opportunities to publicise all fundraising activities of the Hospice and manages the process of promotion and recording of Gift Aid documentation
- Communicates clearly and regularly with their Line manager and colleagues
- Ensures that the information from the EPOS system is fully utilised and all paperwork for sales is completed and monitored.
- Completes periodic audits of all records and submits reports to the Trading Manager
- Stretches and develops the capability of the team through rigorous application of performance management
- Works as an integral part of the shops team, being supportive and sensitive to the needs of the whole team
- Motivates and directs both staff and volunteers to ensure high standards of performance and delivery
- Provides development training and support for self and others including mandatory updates
- Volunteers are a vital resource to St Wilfrid’s and it is the responsibility of all staff to treat them with respect and value their contribution
- Participates in development and review of relevant hospice policies, procedures and guidelines and their implementation across all shops.
KNOWLEDGE & SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS
- At least 2 years managing a large retail outlet preferably in charity sector
- Performance management of staff
- Knowledge of trading standards legislation
- Budget setting and monitoring of targets
- Good basic education
- Working with the public
- Knowledge of furniture, antiques and collectables
- Full driving Licence and daily access to car
- People Care
- Motivation & Initiative
- Change & Adaptability
- Planning & Organisation
- Analysis & Decision making Ability
- Coaching & Teamwork
Please send your completed hospice application form and up to date CV to St Wilfrid's Hospice, Walton Lane, Bosham, West Sussex, PO18 8QB