Estates & Facilities Manager
|Salary:||£40,092 per annum|
|Hours:||37.5 hours per week, flexible work pattern options considered|
|End date:||Closing date: 13 February 2020 (3pm), Interview dates: 20 & 21 February 2020|
Following the success of relocating the Hospice to a brand new purpose built facility in 2019, a fantastic opportunity to join our team as the Estates and Facilities Manager has arisen.
The successful candidate will lead the Estates and Facilities operational service teams to deliver high quality and user focused services across our entire estate. This includes management of building maintenance, catering, housekeeping, security, waste management, external contracts and other non-clinical services essential to the safe operation of a hospice.
As the Chairperson of the Health & Safety Committee the role holder will possess experience and knowledge of Health & Safety regulatory standards with excellent communication skills.
We are looking for someone who has previous experience in this field with strategic and practical abilities to ensure safety and quality standards are maintained. Line managing a team consisting of staff and volunteers the role holder will provide clear leadership and motivation to ensure high standards are met and maintained.
As part of our committed team, the working atmosphere is friendly, inspiring and supportive. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes holiday entitlement starting at 27 days per year, increasing to 33 days, plus bank holidays, a contributory pension scheme, or continuation to the NHS Superannuation Scheme, life assurance, access to complementary therapies, discounted gym membership plus a contributory cash reimbursement plan for you and family members.
Director of Finance
- Responsible for the management, planning, co-ordination and development of the St Wilfrid’s Estates, including fixed assets
- Responsible for the management of Catering, Housekeeping, Maintenance, Reception and General Administration services
- Overall lead for Health and Safety, Chair of the Health and Safety Committee and a member of the Governance and Risk Committee
- Project and contract management with external contractors and service providers, including external professional consultants
- The responsible person for the Medical Gas Pipeline Systems
- Provides leadership and day to day management of the Estates and Facilities function
- Project management of estate wide improvements and any works required
- Developing, implementing and reviewing the Estate Strategy working with Senior Management Team, other Senior staff and external contractors
- Financial management monitoring and review of all Hospice estate and facilities suppliers, costs and allocated budgets.
- Lead for ensuring appropriate insurance cover is provided across the Hospice, dealing with insurance renewals and claims.
- Line Management of 5 Members of Staff and approx. 4 volunteers, within general administration, health & safety and maintenance teams
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Takes a lead on the future planning and development of estates ensuring a proactive approach to legislative, statutory, policy or Health Technical Memorandum requirements and best practice
- Chairs the Health and Safety Committee and ensures the organisation complies with all statutory and best practice requirements, reporting onto the Governance & Risk Subcommittee of the Board of Trustees
- Works as a member of the senior staff team, contributing to the development of the Hospice services overall
- Manages, supports and supervises Department Leads; administration/reception, estates team, ensuring tasks and responsibilities are delegated appropriately and that the team members are fully trained, adequately staffed at all times and delivering quality services
- Manages and reviews costs associated with administration and estates, including suppliers, and ensures that allocated budgets are used and monitored efficiently
- Leads recruitment and selection of estate and facilities staff and ensures effective induction and training is in place
- Manages the outsourced catering contract ensuring high quality standards are maintained with efficient use of resources
- Ensure that a proactive preventative planned maintenance programme is in place and that it is adhered to across the whole Estate. Ensure that all certification and records are accurate, maintained and available for audit purposes utilising IT wherever possible to develop and maintain a facilities management system
- Negotiate, procure and oversee the safe management of contractors assisting with the maintenance of the estate
- Ensure the maintenance and safety of the Hospice’s fleet of vehicles and insurance requirements are met
- Responsible for ensuring correct insurance cover is maintained for the whole organisation, liaising with the broker regarding claims and additional cover
- Responsible for maintaining the fixed asset register
- Travel Plan co-ordinator with the lead responsibility for the delivery, review and updating of the Action Plan
- Develop, implement and monitor a Grounds Maintenance Plan. Oversee the volunteer gardeners, in liaison with the Voluntary Services Manager, providing assistance and support to ensure the grounds and gardens are maintained to the highest standard for people who use them.
- Working with external agencies such as, Local Authorities, Environment Agency, and national bodies formulating and developing standards of performance and ensuring periodic reports are presented to SMT and Sub Committees.
- Ensures a proactive approach to security management, including all premises, ID passes, CCTV etc.
- Responsible for maintaining and reviewing all utilities, maintenance and estates equipment contracts and service contracts to ensure quality and cost effective services
- Manages the Health & Safety Quality and Audit Co-ordinator to ensure that risk assessments are carried out and actions implemented across the whole estate, relevant Health and Safety training is provided and ensuring safe working practices are adopted throughout the organisation. Overseeing that all Health and Safety policies and procedures are compliant, developed, implemented and maintained
- Works closely with all department managers to ensure that administration and estate needs across the Hospice are met
- Supervise volunteers allocated to support the departments as required including gardeners and the café.
- Work with the Director of Retail and the Head of Education to support these functions from an estates, facilities, transport and insurance perspective.
The SWH Core Accountabilities:
- Promotes the St Wilfrid’s culture of excellence in patient and people care
- Contributes to reporting of progress towards meeting relevant strategic and operational goals
- Contributes towards ensuring that the Hospice’s exposure to risk is minimised through safe practice and awareness of health and safety
- Challenges the department/service to make continuous improvement
- Communicates clearly and regularly with their Line Manager and colleagues
- Stretches and develops the capability of the team through rigorous application of performance management
- Motivates and directs both staff and volunteers to ensure high standards of performance and delivery
- Provides development training and support for self and others including mandatory updates
- Volunteers are a vital resource to St. Wilfrid’s Hospice and it is the responsibility of all staff to treat them with respect and value their contribution
- Works within agreed Hospice policies, procedures and guidelines
KNOWLEDGE & SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS
- Degree level qualification or equivalent experience within facilities/estate/health and safety management
- Comprehensive management experience with a minimum of 2 years of managing a team
- Experience of Facilities Management over multi sites or site services environment experience
- Experience of working with regulatory standards
- Health and safety experience with specific qualification, ideally NEBOSH
- Project Management Skills
- Developing systems and processes
- Tender/Contract management experience
- Budget management experience
- Possess excellent communication, change management and negotiation skills
- Full driving Licence and daily access to car
- Ability to prioritise, with a highly developed solution based approach to problem solving whilst working to tight deadlines
- Ability to develop and manage relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people
CORE COMPETENCIES (Level 2)
- People Care
- Motivation & Initiative
- Change & Adaptability
- Planning & Organisation
- Analysis & Decision Making Ability
- Coaching & Teamwork
Please send your completed Hospice application form and up to date CV to: HR Admin St Wilfrid's Hospice, Walton Lane, Bosham, West Sussex PO18 8QB, or email HRadmin@stwh.co.uk